New String Property Editor Planned For RAD Studio 12 Yukon 🤞

This blog post is based on a pre-release version of the RAD Studio software and it has been written with specific permission by Embarcadero. No feature is committed until the product GA release.

It seems I'm getting very excited about multi-line strings of late. My previous post was about multi-line string literals for Delphi and this time I'm talking about the new multi-line string property editor being slated for the RAD Studio 12 IDE.

For more years than I care to remember, I've been frustrated by the inability to enter multi-line strings in the Delphi IDE object inspector. That meant having to resort to code to initialise some multi-line labels.

So frustrated was I that I wrote a little property editor of my own (stringpe), way back in 2004. It's still around and on GitHub. Here's what it (sometimes) looks like:

Yeah, I know this is Vista - I used an old screenshot

Sometimes? Well it looked like that until it got installed on DPI aware Delphis, and then it shrank to unreadable proportions on high DPI monitors! Never got round to fixing it.

So imagine my joy when Embarcadero announced they were finally adding something similar to RAD Studio 12 Yukon. Well it's there in the beta that was current as I write this anyway.

Here's how it looks when editing a label caption:

Marvellous - I can mothball my little property editor now, which is one less thing to update!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Multi-line String Literals Planned For Delphi 12 Yukon🤞

Call JavaScript in a TWebBrowser and get a result back