System Information Unit v5.30.0 release (but why?)

In my native Yorkshire (in England) we have a saying that "there's nowt so funny as folk" (trans: "there's nothing so peculiar as people").

Well, in my post on 1st October, when v5.29.0 was released, I made it very clear that I was getting utterly sick of keeping the OS detection code up to date and was going to do just one final release at the year end. And then, a matter of days later, v5.30.0 dropped, and it's not the last release. So what's going on? Nowt so funny as folk.

I was looking over the code and poking round the registry and thought there were a few more methods that really could be added to the OS detection code. Since I'm a bit under the weather at the moment and can't be bothered doing anything else, I entertained myself by adding those missing methods. They are all class methods of TPJOSInfo (follow the links for documentation):

And then I started wondering if there was a way, that didn't rely on the (occasionally unreliable) registry, to determine the "release" versions of Windows 10 and 11. You know, the ones like "1507" and "24H2" that MS now uses instead of far simpler point releases. So off down a rabbit hole I went and came back out with:
I'd like to say I stopped there, and for the purposes of this release, I did. But have you wondered how to decode the Windows digital product ID into that string you type in when activating Windows? It may come as a surprise that this isn't as straight forward as you might think. But the code is planned for a future release: probably at the end of the year, possibly later, maybe tomorrow!

As usual, get this release from the project's GitHub releases page.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deleting elements from a dynamic array

New String Property Editor Planned For RAD Studio 12 Yukon 🤞

Initialising dynamic arrays